So my baby turned one. It was a big accomplishment – not just for him, but for mama and dada, too. I’m sitting here thinking about all of the amazing milestones he’s accomplished in the past year – and if I were going to be really cheesy, I would tell you that ALL of the moments throughout the year are ones for the memory books. But let’s be honest: you really don’t remember half of the first year, because you’re so lost in sleepless delirium. And most of the things you DO remember are the typical firsts – things like the first tooth and the first time they rolled over and all that jazz. But when you sit down and think about it, what really were the best moments of that first year of parenthood? Here are my top five.
1. That first moment when you really feel like a family unit. Before we were married, Rick and I were together, we were US. We had Lucy and we were just…ourselves. And then the baby came along. And at first, you just throw yourself into parenthood head first, never looking back. Because there’s no time to look back. Any second you’re not changing diapers, making/washing bottles, feeding the baby, doing laundry and drinking coffee is spent face first sleeping on your pillow. But then the smoke clears and you find yourself out on a little family outing and you realize…this is it. This is what I’ve been waiting for – that hokey tv family feeling. And it feels amazing. And suddenly you’re secure in your place as a parent.
2. Those first moments when you realize your baby knows who you are. And I’m not talking about he knows who you are because you’re the one that feeds him and comforts him and clothes him. It’s when they smile at you for the first time. It’s when they reach their arms out for you and no one else. It’s when they HUG you for the first time – that one tops it all. True ♥ is what it is.
3. When they first become mobile. It’s the first of the happy/sad moments. You’re ecstatic because your babe, who’s been trying and trying and getting more and more frustrated that they can’t move, can finally get some traction. And terrified because your house is not babyproofed. The stairs. The outlets. The cabinets. Oh my!
4. When they learn how to play. For a long, long time, I played. My baby watched. Then somewhere along the line he learned how to use instruments. Slash he learned how to turn anything in front of him into an instrument. And then he learned that certain things were funny. And started to entertain himself. Fast forward to today, when I found a toy pig stuck in a farm silo, because little man thought it was hilarious. My child is funny. He’s learning to entertain himself. And I love it. Slash hate it – but only because it means he’s getting bigger.
5. When they get all lovey dovey. Ohmigerd it is seriously the best thing in the world when your little man gets SO excited to see you that he literally jumps on top of you in the playroom, wraps his arms around you and just lays there for five seconds with his head on your shoulder. Or when he sits on your lap for five minutes with his favorite blankey because he’s so tired out from his day, all he wants to do is cuddle. Best.part.of.parenthood.ever.
Tell me in the comments: what are YOUR favorite moments from the first year of parenthood?